We, at the Westin Ka’anapali Ocean Resort Villas believe that the well-being of our society and culture are inextricably tied to the health of our environment. Accordingly, we embrace our kuleana, responsibility, for environmental stewardship and are committed to embody the concept of ahupua’a, which is to take care of all living things from the mountains to the sea, by integrating leading environmental practices and sustainability principles into our core business strategy. Through laulima, many hands working together, we will actively work to reduce the environmental impact of our business activities and to continually improve and innovate on practices aimed at:
- Conserving natural resources
- Minimizing waste and pollution
- Enhancing indoor environmental quality
- Establishing and reporting on key environmental performance indicators
- Raising environmental awareness among our associates, guests, business partners and communities
We acknowledge that, in many ways, we, like the global community we serve, are only in the early stages of developing and implementing the many changes that will be necessary to achieve these vital goals. Nonetheless, we ask for your kokua, help, as we strongly believe that our efforts to support a healthy environment serve the interests of both current and future generations and constitute the foundation for enduring holomua, success.
The Green Choice
“You Tidy, We Treat. Your Green Choice” This program enables the resort to conserve energy and water by giving guests the option to defer daily housekeeping services for a delicious breakfast buffet at Auntie's Kitchen.
In conjunction with the resort’s “Make a Green Choice” Program, guests are invited to opt to receive their bill (folio) electronically which prevents the print out and delivery of hundreds of guest folios upon checking out.
Waste Minimization, Recycling Program and Organic Waste Management currently enables the resort to divert minimum 20% of its trash from the landfill with assorted recycling bins throughout the resort, landscape green waste composting, used kitchen oil recycling to its biodiesel processor and unused furniture/appliance/electronics donations to charity and non-profit organizations.
Sustainable Food & Beverage
Sustainable Food & Beverage Menus and Products ensure the conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity and healthy eating habits by sourcing local nutrients and supporting local organic farmers and businesses, fair trade items and eliminating threatened seafood varieties.
- Styrofoam Elimination and use of reusable and /or biodegradable products throughout the property protects human health and mitigates degradation associate with polystyrene manufacturing.
- Sustainable Herb Garden. Installed in December 2011, the resort’s Executive Chef and his culinary team make use of the freshest herbs grown on-site in its Sustainable Herb Garden.
Amenity Donation Program
Amenity Donation Program, where gently used shampoos, conditioners and lotions left behind by guests are donated to Na Hale O Waine’e, West Maui’s Homeless Resource Center, also contributes to the diversion of waste.
Community Service/ Global Citizenship
- Quarterly Beach Cleanups on Keka’a Beach enables resort associates and leaders to work side-by-side on a quarterly basis to make a difference and keep our beaches clean. The activity has foraged great support since the start of the company’s operation in 2003.
- Highway Cleanup, a quarterly associate event, helps keep our roads and highways free and clear of trash and debris.
- HI 5 Community Project lead by the Housekeeping team includes the collection of redeemable recyclable throughout the resort that is donated to local schools and children’s athletic organizations.
- Maui Cultural Lands Partnership. Since 2008, the resort has actively participated and supported efforts to help protect and restore Hawaiian cultural resources in Honokowai Valley & Kaheawa. Resort associates and guests have teamed-up on a quarterly basis in the on-going restoration project.